Due to the current Covid 19 pandemic the demand for disposable respirators is soaring. Many people who are now wearing the respirators may have never worn one before so we thought we would do a feature on how they should be correctly used.
Pre Use Checks
You should be clean-shaven around the face seal to achieve an effective fit when using disposable respirators.
- Beards and stubble will stop the disposable respirator sealing to your face and protecting you properly
- Make sure it is the right disposable respirator for your work and for you – have you passed a face fit test in this disposable respirator?
- Make sure the disposable respirator is clean and undamaged before you use it
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for checking the disposable respirator and putting it on
- Check the fit every time you put on the disposable respirator to ensure there are no leaks
Putting the disposable respirator on and checking it fits
The following image is courtesy of the HSE and explains how the disposable respirator should be fitted.
The above image illustrates a typical disposable respirator, there are many other types available. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions on putting your type of disposable respirator on and checking it fits.
Face Fit Testing
To ensure that you have the right type of respirator for your face a face fit test should be carried out. It is a myth that disposable respirators are a one style fits all solution. This is certainly not the case and the face fit test assesses the suitability of the respirator on any individual.
The face fit test should be carried out by a competent person and the outcomes of the test recorded.
At Prestige Safety Services we are able to supply many types of respirator and carry out face fit testing to ensure you are providing the correct solution for your staff.
If you would like more information on this service please get in touch.